Steamed Ginger Chilli Fish with Bok Choy
- 2 whole silver perch ﬁsh, scaled and cleaned with heads removed
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 3cm fresh ginger, ﬁnely julienned
- 1 red chilli, de-seeded and ﬁnely julienned
- 2 spring onions, ﬁnely sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- Small handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped, to serve
- 1 teaspoon fried shallots, to serve
- 1 spring onion, ﬁnely sliced to serve
Preheat oven to 160° Celsius.
Fill the wok with 2 inches of water and place the steamer basket on top. Bring the water to a boil over medium high heat. Place the ﬁsh inside the steamer on a plate and steam for 6-8 minutes. Gently lift the ﬂesh of the ﬁsh using a butter knife to check that the meat is almost completely opaque.
Remove the ﬁsh and steamer basket and pour out the water from the wok. Place the wok back on the hob with the oil, ginger, chilli and spring onions until it begins to sizzle.
Add the water, sugar and soy sauce and bring to a simmer. Let simmer until it thickens slightly, then season with white pepper and gently add the steamed ﬁsh, turn over once to coat it in the glaze.
Serve on a plate topped with the wok juices, coriander, spring onion and fried garlic.